Monday, July 8, 2013

A larva by any other name...


It's July.  It's hot.  It's rainy.  The nectar flow has been (reportedly) heavy and bees have (allegedly) been very productive this year.  Beekeepers all over NOVA seem to be doing well, harvesting honey etc.

It has been approximately 8 weeks since I installed my nuc.  I went in for an inspection last week and to supplement the feed.  To my horror the hive top feeder had about 20-30 larvae swimming around in the remnants of the last serving of sugar syrup.  I cannot tell the difference between wax moth larvae (above) and hive beetle larvae (below).  It is frustrating.  They both seem equally disgusting to me. 



I did see an actual (adult) wax moth as I was pounding on the feeder and forcing larvae to rain down on my Chooka boots.  This leads me to conclude my problem is wax moths.  It also leads me to conclude that this is my fault because I installed bees in a hive with wax moths - though I did my best to clear out the problem areas.  My reading indicates that the best course is to prevent, rather than try to cure wax moths.  I can do this by freezing brood comb - that seems difficult and damaging.  I can also seal off any entrances where the moths are gaining access.  This makes me realize that adding my third medium box last weekend may not have been the wisest course of action.  Though, when I looked at the frames I saw no immediate indication of wax moths - just the little critters in the hive top feeder.  Spotty brood pattern in the second box - but I did not go into the first box.  Lots of honey.

Another problem I have is that I cannot identify the queen.  Sorry people, I can't do it.  I took the class.  I've looked at pictures.  I've read the books.  Show me 30,000 bees and I will never be able to pull out the one queen.  Discouraging.  I guess she's in there, however, because I have brood. 

Yet another problem I have is robbing (I think).  The guard bees have been spotted fighting off look-alike bees who are attempting to enter the hive.  They have gotten violent at times, and one guard bee flew one such intruder across the yard and dropped her.  This is also discouraging. 

Objectives for next week:  put up robbing screen; conduct full inspection for wax moths in the comb and purchase treatments if necessary.   

No comments:

Post a Comment