Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Adventures with Wax Moths and Robbing.

So here's a story:  Last week my husband went to the shed for something and discovered a large bucket COVERED in wax moth larvae.  He pulled it together like a champion and removed the mess.  I was at work at had no part in this, thankfully.  How did this happen?  I hesitate to disclose it for risk of revealing my ineptitude.  However, remember when spring came and I installed my nuc?  Prior to installation I cut out damaged comb and comb infected with wax moth larvae.  In my infinite wisdom I decided not to discard the removed comb - mostly because in bee class I remember Rob stating never to throw away wax because someone will want it and people will even pay for it.  Ok.  I'll keep the wax.  Let's put it in a trash bag and put it in the shed.  Good idea, Samantha.  3 months later we have a giant bucket of ick to deal with. 

My last post commented on the problem of wax moths vs. hive beetles.  I have since concluded that I had a wax moth problem.  The problem was concentrated in the hive top feeder - where I would find TONS of little worm-like larvae.  To treat this problem I removed the feeder, cleaned it, and stuck it in the freezer for a few days to kill any of the little suckers that may have been hiding.  This appears to have worked.  I have not seen any additional larvae problems.  A few adult moths have been spotted in the pest tray.  However, the fact that I have a weak hive is clear.  I'm not confident I have solved the problem entirely - but pleased for the moment with the improvement.   

Next issue:  After I feed, I notice a lot of excited activity outside the hive.  I have put on my robber screen - but I still see a lot of activity.  It looks something like this:



 
At first I thought they were just happy bees.  After further research, I am concerned that after I feed, my weak colony is being robbed.  I have on the robber screen - what else can I do to protect against robbing?  I have no confidence that these ladies are going to survive the winter...and it's only July.  Think positively.... Frankly, I think the nuc I got was a dud.  I know that everyone in class is opposed to package bees - but my packaged Italian bees last year from Georgia were far more robust than the local nuc of Carniolans I purchased this year.  I also do not think the queen I purchased this year was a strong queen.  The productivity of these bees has just been far worse than last year, and they had the advantage of pre-drawn comb.  Of course, there may have been a few was moths to deal which is a factor to consider.  Unfortunately, assuming I have to go back to the drawing board next year, I will again be purchasing package bees with a marked queen. 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment